This recipe is one given to Troubadour approximately six years ago by a former co worker. I have modified it slightly in that I've cut the amount of margarine in half and upped the cinnamon content.
It is a great recipe for cold winter mornings or when you are having overnight company and don't want to spend a lot of time cooking in the morning.
I only make this recipe about once a year since it isn't healthy, but it sure is good.
**This recipe is prepared the night before, so please plan ahead**
SIMPLE STICKY BUNS
1 Pkg Cook Butterscotch Pudding (Not instant)
1/4 Cup Vegan Margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1/2 Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
12-15 Rhodes frozen White Dinner Rolls
1/2 Cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts
1. Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a small bowl mix margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well combined and set aside. If you need to soften the margarine in the microwave for a few seconds it still works fine.
3. Evenly distribute the frozen rolls in the bottom of the bundt pan in one layer.
|(One layer of frozen rolls)|
4. Drop teaspoons of the brown sugar mixture on top of rolls.
|(Brown sugar mixture on top of rolls)|
|(Dry pudding sprinkled on top)|
|(Walnuts sprinkled on top)|
7. Place in cold oven overnight without turning it on. Do not turn oven light on as this will cause the buns to raise too much.
|(All set for the night)|
8. When you wake up in the morning the buns will have risen overnight. Note - prepare these right before bed so they don't rise too much.
|(Ready to bake)|
9. Without taking pan out of oven. Turn the oven on to 350˚F (176˚C) and set your timer for 25-30 minutes. Mine were done to a golden brown in only 25 minutes. It just depends on your oven.
10. Take pan out of oven and let rest a few minutes.
|(Fresh from the oven)|
11. Turn over onto platter and serve warm.
|(Sticky cinnamony goodness)|
These are delicious warmed in the microwave the next morning too.
** Note - most Jello cook puddings use cornstarch and not gelatin - they are 'accidentally vegan'. Be sure to check the label of your pudding to make sure it is vegan.
- Au Revoir
" I like cinnamon rolls, but I don't always have time to make a pan. That is why I wish they'd sell cinnamon roll incense. After all, I'd rather light a stick and have my roommate wake up with false hopes." - Mitch Hedberg.