Every once in a while when it is cold out we just feel the need for comfort food. This recipe is one of those comfort foods for us.
I like to make homemade no-beef gravy and put it over mashed potatoes and tofu with fried onions. Because there is only 1 tablespoon of margarine in the gravy it isn't even that unhealthy.
FRIED TOFU SMOTHERED IN ONIONS AND GRAVY
1 lb extra firm Tofu
dash of Soy Sauce
Olive Oil for frying
2 Onions, peeled and sliced in strips
Potatoes for boiling and mashing
2 cups warm Water
2 tsp Better than Bouillon's 'No-Beef' Bouillon
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp granulated Garlic (or garlic powder)
2 heaping Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1 tsp prepared Mustard ( I used Dijon)
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce (low sodium)
1/4 heaping cup Flour
1 Tbsp vegan Margarine
1. Dice and put potatoes on to boil.
2. Drain tofu and cut into 8 slices. Lay on cutting board and coat with a little soy sauce.
3. Peel and cut onions into strips. In large frying pan add a few tablespoons of olive oil and fry onions on medium to medium-high until brown.
4. Remove onions from frying pan and set aside. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and fry tofu approximately 6 minutes each side turning once.
5. While tofu is frying start the gravy. Microwave the water until fairly warm and add the bouillon. In small saucepan combine the flour, onion powder, granulated garlic, and nutritional yeast. Whisk in water mixture. Add soy sauce, mustard and margarine. Heat on medium to medium-low (depending on burner temperature) until thick and bubbly while lightly whisking/stirring continuously.
6. Drain and mash potatoes. I usually enlist hubby to do this so that I can continue to stir the gravy.
7. Add onions back into the pan with the fried tofu and mix up to heat the onions and combine flavors.
8. To serve - plate up two tofu steaks with onions and a big dollop of mashed potatoes.
9. And smother them in gravy.
For just the two of us this recipe will do two meals each. We usually reheat the leftovers for lunch or for dinner the next day.
This gravy is also good mixed with a veggie sausage over biscuits for breakfast and is also very good over french fries with some cubed Daiya as a vegan poutine. It is my go-to gravy recipe.
- Au Revoir
" I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." - Erma Bombeck