Thursday, February 28, 2013

No Chicken Noodle Soup

I created this recipe because I was missing chicken noodle soup after going vegan 1.5 years ago. It is low fat, low carb, gluten free and will hit the spot on a cold winter's day.  I don't use a recipe when I make it so I had to pay special attention when making it for dinner Tuesday night this week so I could approximate ingredient amounts.  It makes enough for two large dinner portions and one large portion for lunch the next day.


NO CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
5 cups water
4 tsps No Chicken Bouillon
3/4 cup Celery, chopped
6-7 Brown Mushrooms, sliced
1 Onion, chopped (white or red onion)
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 pkg Shirataki Noodles (I use tofu Shirataki noodles)
1 pkg Super Firm Tofu
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning

DIRECTIONS:

1.  In a large saucepan heat water and add bouillon.

2.  Add onion, mushrooms, celery and garlic and bring to a boil.

(Veggies added to bouillon and water)
3.  Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are almost cooked and moisture has been released from mushrooms. Add poultry seasoning.

(Veggies simmering)
4. While the stock is simmering open the noodles  Rinse in a strainer and put on a plate.  Microwave on high 30 seconds.  Let rest on a paper towel folded in half.  Let cool, then cut with a knife to desired lengths.  I usually cut down the middle then across a few time so the noodles aren't too long. Shirataki noodles can be a little chewy so you don't want the pieces too big.

(Noodles drying - prior to cutting)
5.  While the stock is simmering also drain, rinse, pat dry, and cube the tofu into desired sized pieces. Mine were a little large.  Smaller might have been a little better this time around.

(Cubed tofu ready for the soup)
6.  Add tofu and heat thoroughly.

(Tofu added to the pot)
7.  Add noodles about 1 minute prior to removing the pan from the heat and serving.

(Noodles added to the pot)
Ready to serve.  I like to add some fresh ground pepper on top.

(mmmmm soup)
One of the things I like about this recipe is how versatile it is.  Need a bigger batch?  Add more water, bouillon and veggies.  Need to use up some carrots or spinach - throw those in the pot too.

This can be a very low calorie soup.  without the tofu the entire pot is 200 calories.  The tofu I used was Trader Joe's Organic Super Firm which added 650 calories to the pot but also 70 grams of protein.

I first tried making this with a grain based chicken substitute.  Although different brands worked quite well, I didn't like the fact they were so processed and added so much salt and preservatives to the soup.

- Au Revoir

" When baking follow directions.  When cooking follow your own taste." - Laiko Bahrs
.

2 comments:

  1. Nom nom! That looks yummy. I have a head-thing right now and that looks like it would feel very good on my sore throat and taste good to boot!

    ReplyDelete