Monday, October 8, 2012

'Tuna' Chickpea Salad

One day a few weeks ago, I was searching for a new sandwich filler. I'd read recipes previously where people were making a vegan tuna salad type of recipe from chickpeas and decided to try it.  I was wowed from the first bite and it has become a favorite.  It is tasty in a sandwich as well as a cracker topper.

The original recipe I tried was from the Apron Archives and can be found at this ----> LINK. I have modified it a bit to suit our tastes (less celery, added dill pickles and substituted Veganaise instead of real mayonaise).



'TUNA' CHICKPEA SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
1 - 15 oz can Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 Cup Celery, chopped fine
1/4-1/2 Cup Red Onion, minced
2 Tbsp Veganaise, OR 1/2 smash Avocado OR 2 Tbsp Hummus
2 Tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard
2 Tbsp Dill Pickles, minced (or dill relish)
sprinkle of fresh ground pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Place drained chickpeas in a medium bowl and mash with a fork until broken.  Stir to find any remaining whole chickpeas and mash them as well.   

(mashed chickpeas)
2.  Add in celery and onion and stir.

(mashed chickpea, onion and celery mixture)
3.  To the chickpea/veggie mixture add the Veganaise, mustard, black pepper and pickles (or dill relish) and mix thoroughly.  Add salt and additional pepper to taste.

Place chickpea salad on a bed of greens or make into a yummy sandwich.  Leftovers can be refrigerated and are fine the next day.  

*     I have also made this substituting chopped green onion in place of the red onion and it works well.

(Sandwich of light dill rye bread spread with vegan cream cheese topped with chickpea salad and sprouts)

- Au Revoir

"I don't like food that is too carefully arranged; it makes me think the chef is spending too much time arranging and not enough time cooking.  If I wanted a picture I'd buy a painting." - Andy Rooney  

No comments:

Post a Comment