Troubadour and I had a nice relaxing Sunday at home yesterday. As we were sipping our coffee I decided to make blueberry scones for breakfast.
The easiest recipe to use is one I found back in April 2008 on vegweb.com by user roxygrl706 and was titled "Really Good Vegan Raisin Scones." When I look up the recipe now it states it was posted by Anonymous which makes me think she is no longer on the site. The original recipe can be found by clicking this -----> link. I already have a recipe for Scottish Oat Scones that have raisins in them so I've altered the recipe for blueberries.
Here is my interpretation:
2 Cups Flour (1 Cup white, 1 Cup whole wheat)
3 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar (+ some for sprinkling)
1/2 heaping Cup of whole Blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 Cup vegan Margarine such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1 Cup Soy Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 450˚F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until it resembles fine crumbles. Stir in blueberries.
3. Stir in milk and vanilla. If the dough is a little dry turn out onto floured surface and knead to mix. Pat into a round approximately 1 inch thick and 8 inches in diameter. Dab top with soy milk and sprinkle with sugar.
|(Dough patted out and sprinkled with soy milk and sugar)|
4. Use a sharp knife and cut into 6 triangle shaped wedges.
5. Place on baking sheet and bake for approximately 13 minutes or until light brown and firm to the touch.
|(Scones ready for the oven)|
- Au Revoir
"Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb, real sky-blue, and heavy, and ready to drum, in the cavernous pail of the first one to come." - Robert Frost