Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cauliflower Tabbouleh - Vegan & Gluten Free

Tabbouleh or Tabouli is an Arab salad usually consisting of bulgur wheat, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, onion, and garlic then seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.

I believe this raw take on it using grated cauliflower is a healthier version than the traditional.

While there are a lot of versions of cauliflower tabbouleh on the internet, I found the original version of this recipe last July and did some slight adjustments to it to make it more suitable for hubby and I.  I am not a huge fan of parsley so I reduced the amount by half.  I also upped the amount of green onions. The original recipe is called Detox Tabbouleh, by Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows and can be found here:  LINK.  Check it out - her pictures are way better than mine.  

I like to make the recipe using a large head of cauliflower so that we have enough for dinner portions and lunch the next day.  While you can scoop it onto crackers, we prefer to eat it straight from the bowl as a meal.  I also try and use all organic produce for the recipe.  I have also used both Italian parsley and flat-leafed and I don't think it makes a difference which one you use.


CAULIFLOWER TABBOULEH

INGREDIENTS:

1 large head Cauliflower, rinsed and cut into large florets
1 pint (1.5 cups) Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup chopped Parsley
3/4 cup chopped Cilantro
1-1/2 cups chopped Celery
6 Green Onions, chopped
2 tbsp hulled Hemp Seeds, if available
1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Flax Seed Oil - or use Olive Oil if flax not available
1 tsp pure Maple Syrup
Sprinkle of Sea Salt & Black pepper

DIRECTIONS:


1.  Grate cauliflower into large bowl.  The stems don't grate well, but the florets grate really nice, just work your way around the head of the floret.  Feel free to nibble on the stalks that won't grate.  NOTE - I attempted to use a food processor and found the mixture too wet.  Grating by hand seemed to work best.

2.  To the cauliflower add tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, celery, and green onions and mix to combine.

3.  In small bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, and maple syrup.

4.  Pour vinegar mixture onto cauliflower mixture and stir to coat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve. If you are using hemp seeds sprinkle on top just before serving.


- Bon Appetit

" Cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education." - Mark Twain
.

4 comments:

  1. Very delicious! I used the grater attachment on the food processor and it made short work of the caulifower. And I couldn't find hemp seeds so tomorrow I'll try a different store. I assume that the seeds are to add protein to the dish.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, so glad you liked it. Who knew grated raw cauliflower could be so tasty.

    I don't usually have hemp seeds on hand as they are so expensive. I had two sample packs we picked up at VegFest in September and had been using them. I believe they are for protein. That was something carried over from the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine didn't turn out as colorful. Yellow tomatoes and a lot more cauliflower. Maybe I'll add some cucumber...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cucumbers would definitely be good in it or even red or green peppers.

      Delete