Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Peanut Butter & Maple Cookies

This is one of those recipes I've had for over 20 years.  Found in a small cookbook like you'd see by the check-out counter in the grocery store - I believe it was a Pillsbury Bake-Off cookbook.  When I was downsizing it was long ago re-typed from the original book and is hiding away in a protector sleeve in a binder.

I was never really a fan of peanut butter cookies until I found this recipe.  This one is so light and chewy, to this day, it is the only one I'll make.  And now I have made it vegan.  


PEANUT BUTTER & MAPLE COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup Vegan Margarine such as Earth Balance
1/2 cup natural unsalted smooth Peanut Butter
1/2 cup real Maple Syrup
1-1/2 tsps Ener-G Egg Replacer + 1 Tbsp warm water
1-1/2 cups all purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
    White sugar for criss-crossing tops of cookies

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 350˚F (176˚C).

2.  In a large electric mixing bowl beat brown sugar, margarine and peanut butter until light and fluffy.

3.  While this is mixing combine the Ener-G egg replacer and warm water.  Set aside.

4.  Add the maple syrup and egg replacer to mixer and beat well.

5.  In separate bowl combine dry ingredients.

6.  Mix dry ingredients into wet and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to make handling easier.

(Mixed up dough ready for the refrigerator)
7.  Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place at least 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.

8.  With fork dipped in the granulated white sugar press a criss cross pattern into the tops of the dough.

9.  Bake at 350˚F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

10.  Let rest on cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack.

*  Makes approximately 3 dozen



- Bon Appetit

" No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop eating after one peanut." - Channing Pollock
.

2 comments:

  1. My hubby and I just watched Forks over Knives. Have you seen it? Quite the case for going vegan!! It sure is making us take a long hard look at our current diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forks Over Knives turne dus vegan on the spot. Previously we'd been pescetarian/lacto-vegetarian (still ate fish & dairy) and part way through the documentary we were already throwing out all of the dairy in the house. Wasteful maybe but we couldn't stomach to eat it after that. Luckily I'd never been a fan of drinking milk so I'd always used soy milk.

    I have Crohn's Disease (diagnosed in 1991). With the quality of our meat supply we stopped eating chicken, beef and pork about 4 years or so ago. I saw a complete turn around in my health. I had a normal digestive system after 16 years of issues. If someone had of told me that many years ago all I had to do was go veggie to be normal maybe I could have avoided the surgery to remove 8 cm of bowel. (too much information I know)

    At first we missed some things and now after not having meat for so long the thought of it makes us a little ill. There are substitutes to use for certain recipes. I also think we have tried so many new foods and recipes that we might not have tried. I think we've each lost a little weight too. As long as you don't get trapped by pasta and potato chips being vegan - a common trap for people transitioning over.

    I have heard that watching the documentary Earthlings will change your eating habits. I've seen the previews and I don't think I could actually watch it. I believe it is about factory farming and the meat industry.

    Try making vegan meals once or twice a week and see how you like it. I make weekly menu then do all of my shopping once a week. This way I don't have to think what I want to make for dinner after work. I already know what is on the menu.

    Good luck - and thank you for having an open mind.

    ReplyDelete