Friday, October 26, 2012

Corn Dog Muffins

I have seen these little tidbits on a few places on the interweb but the post over at A Sweet Simple Life is what got me to try them out knowing I could veganize them.  Her original recipe can be found at this ----> LINK.  

She makes her muffin gluten free by using rice flour in place of wheat flour.  The ratios are pretty close to what I use so I believe you could do the same with my recipe.  And while she used mini corn dogs as a tailgating snack for football games, I thought they would be good regular size as an accompaniment to chili.

Even though her end result looked quite tasty I was reluctant to try her recipe for the cornmeal muffin part.  The only cornbread recipe I have ever used is the one my mom always made, which was called "Perfect Cornbread".  I have no idea where it originated but it has been handwritten on a recipe card in the family for at least 50 years.  It was always a favorite of mine and I made sure to write it down when I left the nest all those years ago.  I have made it vegan and I hope you enjoy it too.



CORN DOG MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Flour (use rice flour for gluten free)
1/4 Cup granulated Sugar
4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup Cornmeal
1/4 Cup vegan Shortening - I used Earth Balance Natural Shortening Sticks
1 Tbsp EnerG Egg Replacer (or if using another replacer - enough for 2 eggs)
4 Tbsp warm Water mixed with the egg substitute
1 Cup Soy Milk (or other non dairy milk)
3-4 vegan Hot Dogs - I used Litelife.  Cut into 3 pieces each

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 425˚F.  Spray muffin tin with non stick cooking spray.

2.  Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cornmeal.

3.  Cut in shortening.

4.  Stir in egg substitute (already mixed with water) and milk.

5.  Spoon into muffin tins.  Push a piece of hot dog into each muffin.

(Corn Dog muffins just put in the oven)

6.  Bake for 15 minutes until nice and golden brown.  This made 10 regular sized muffins.

(Corn dog muffin - fresh from of the oven)

(What they look like cut open)

I found these to be pretty good as a leftover snack in my lunch the next day as well.

-Au Revoir

" An empty belly is the best cook." - Estonian Proverb
.

No comments:

Post a Comment