Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Vegan Black Bean Brownies

Oh such fudgy goodness contained in one little square.  I have been developing this recipe over a year or so.  It started out with one of the many I'd seen on the interweb and I've reduced the sugar by at least a third as well as done some other tweaking to make it less cake like and more fudge brownie like.  I really like the fact that they have no added oil and have a healthy dose of protein and fiber from the beans.  If you are going to eat a brownie it might as well be a healthy version.

And no, you cannot tell there are black beans in the mix.  I also try to use organic ingredients when available.

Note the pictures in this post are a little more cake-like.  These were from a batch I'd cooked a little too much.  I forgot to take pics of the last fudgier batch. I'll update the pics the next time I make them (when I remember to buy more cocoa).

VEGAN BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup Unbleached White Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Sugar or Evaporated Cane Juice
1 - 15 oz can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk (I used soy)

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 350˚ and spray a 8 or 9 inch square glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

2.  In a medium-large mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and sugar.  Whisk together to combine.  Make a well in the center for the wet ingredients.

3.  In a blender or food processor combine the black beans and non dairy milk.  Process until well blended and fairly smooth.

4.  Pour the bean mixture into the dry and stir to combine.  Mix well.  Batter will be fairly thick. 

5.  Pour into glass baking dish and smooth out any high spots.

6.  Bake in 350˚ oven for 25-27 minutes.  You will be able to see the edges set.  You don't want them to dry out while the center is cooking.  If you want a fudgier denser brownie do not over bake.  

7.  Cool pan on wire rack and cut into squares.  They are more fudge like when warm but harder to cut into squares as well.  

**These would pair well with some non-dairy ice cream, although I haven't splurged and tried it.



- Bon Appetit

" Keep calm and eat a brownie." - Author Unknown
.

6 comments:

  1. Amazing creation! This I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty tasty.Troubadour is the official licker of the bowl too. The batter is good raw.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ask you hubby to make you a batch. Just batt your eyes at him.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I made these again yesterday and used different cocoa and they didn't come out as good. I guess brand of cocoa matters!! They were a little spongy and not as fudgey. Sigh.

      Delete