We've been vegan for almost 3 years and prior to that we were vegetarian for 3 years. When we went vegetarian we cut out eggs, so a tofu scramble hit the spot for the occasional breakfast.
I have my go-to recipe. The one I've modified over time and always seem to come back to. A week or so ago Mr. Everyday Tastiness mentioned making a tofu scramble for breakfast and it sounded like it might hit the spot.
These days we prefer a lighter breakfast, so I added tofu scramble to our weekly dinner menu. We had it on Tuesday night. I made it with oven baked hash browns and Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Vegan Sausages, also oven baked.
One note on the type of tofu to use. I prefer to use High Protein Super Firm Tofu from Trader Joes. All I had in the fridge this time was some firm sprouted tofu, which makes for a little moister scramble and the pieces crumble smaller.
The Kala Namak (black salt) is optional. Using it does give the typical eggy aroma to the dish, but not a lot to the taste. I always have it on hand for making potato salad.
This is a very adaptable recipe and you can use any veggies that you have. It is good with side dishes or wrapped in a tortilla with salsa, vegan cheese, and lettuce.
1 lb block of Extra Firm Tofu, drained
1 Onion, peeled and chopped
1 small Green Pepper, cored and chopped
6 Brown Mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce - optional
pinch of Kala Namak (black salt) - optional
1. Chop all of your veggies. In a large frying or saute pan saute the veggies using a little water so they don't stick. You can use oil, but I prefer a fat free method.
2. While the veggies are cooking, press the tofu between paper towels to remove some of the moisture. Use a fork and crumble the entire block to desired size pieces. They will crumble a bit more as they are cooked/stirred.
3. When the veggies are cooked to desired doneness and all water has been absorbed, add tofu to pan and stir to combine.
4. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, soy sauce, and the Worcestershire and black salt if using them. Stir to incorporate all spices with the tofu mixture. Heat until warm and flavors combined, about 5 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve. It is also good topped with shredded vegan cheese.
**To make oven hash browns and roasted sausages. Preheat the oven to 425˚ and line a baking sheet with foil. Place frozen shredded hash brown on the foil, spray lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with granulated garlic and pepper and bake for 11 minutes. Remove form oven and turn over. Bake for another 11 minutes until crisp. I put the sausages in a small foil lined cake pan and bake them at the same time turning once, just as the potatoes. I also start them a little prior to cooking the veggies for the scramble.
|(Tofu scramble with hash browns and a 1/2 sausage link)|
- Bon Appetit
"Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it, 'My appetite is more important than your suffering'?" - Moby