We've been trying to eat more raw foods lately and different salads are at the top of the list. This recipe is just a big chunky salad that is very versatile. Adjust the quantities to suit your tastes and also adapt them to meet the needs of how many people you are feeding.
Have fun and play with it a little. If you don't like heat, you might want to omit the sriracha and/or chili paste. I used both in our dressing. I have also thought about using raspberries in place of the mangos for a more tart dressing, but have not tried it yet.
** I apologize for the pictures, it isn't very light in the kitchen while I am cooking on a rainy day.
CRUNCHY CHOPPED SALAD WITH ZESTY DRESSING
2-3 cups Red and Green Cabbage, coarse chopped (any mixture of one or both)
1 Red or Green Pepper, chopped
1 head Romaine Lettuce, chopped (or one bag of pre-cut)
1 Avocado, peeled and chopped
4-6 Green Onions, sliced (white and greens)
1/4-1/2 cup Cilantro, rough chopped
* Any other veggies such as carrots or snow peas, cucumber, etc
1 cup chopped Mango (either 1 fresh mango or 1 cup frozen, then thawed in fridge)
2 Tbsp Water
4 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Ginger, minced
1/4-1/2 tap Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp Sriracha Sauce or 1/2 tsp Dry Thai Chili Paste
Sprinkle of Sea Salt and fresh ground Black pepper
1. Place all of the veggies in a large mixing or salad bowl.
2. In a high speed blender or food processor blend together the water, apple cider vinegar, mango, garlic, ginger, and if you are using them, the red pepper flakes/sriracha. Blend until smooth. For a thinner dressing add a tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency
3. Plate your salad and top with the zesty dressing.
4. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
This recipe packs well for lunch the next day, just take the salad and dressing in separate containers until it is time to eat.
- Bon Appetit
" It's bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children's health than the pediatrician." - Meryl Streep.