Monday, September 2, 2013

Chia Seed Jam

While I enjoy jam, I do not like the quantities of sugar they contain and refuse to consume the artificial sweeteners the low sugar varieties seem to use.  

I've seen some recipes on the internet and through trial and error I have come up with a jam that seems to work well without traditional sugar and doesn't contain any pectin for thickening.

It makes a small batch and seems to keep well in the fridge in a glass container with airtight lid.  Hubby likes peanut butter and jam sandwiches and peanut butter and jam toast for breakfast and so we seem to go through at least a tablespoon of it every day.

I have only ever used berries for this recipe since we always have locally grown organic blueberries and raspberries in the freezer.  I think other seasonal fruits would work as well; perhaps peach or plum.


CHIA SEED JAM

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
3 cups fresh or frozen Fruit (1 used 2 cups Blueberries and 1 cup Raspberries)
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Chia Seeds
1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract

DIRECTIONS:

1.  In a medium pot combine fruit and maple syrup.  Bring to a simmer.  I used frozen berries and smooshed the blueberries with a rubber spatula as they heated and thawed.

2.  After simmering for 5 minutes, add the chia seeds and stir to combine.  Continue cooking for 15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes to make sure things aren't clumping and that it isn't simmering too high. On my glass top stove I turned the burner down to the 'melt' setting and it was still bubbling quite well.

3.  After 15 minutes remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Pour into a 2-cup heat proof glass dish and cool.  Cover and place in the refrigerator.  It will thicken even more as it chills.


This jam tastes just like fresh berries and a dollop may even be good on vanilla soy ice cream.  I won't tell you how I know though.

Bon Appetit

" Happiness is like jam, you can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself." - Author Unknown
.

No comments:

Post a Comment