One day while perusing different websites I read a thread on a forum that come up on a search engine. It was for all different short cut recipes that used a cake mix. One of the responses was for pumpkin muffins. I jotted it down to save for a rain day.
I don't remember exactly where it came from, but I've made them several times and they are tasty. No added fat and no eggs. They are vegan and I don't think you can find an easier muffin to make. They turn out a little heavier than a cupcake, but lighter than a traditional muffin.
Duncan Hines and a few Betty Crocker cake mixes are 'accidentally vegan', as are some of the others. Just make sure to check the allergy disclosure to make sure there aren't any milk or eggs listed. Also there are several ready made frostings that are vegan as well. Duncan Hines and in this case Pillsbury too.
EASY PUMPKIN MUFFINS
1 Box Spice Cake Mix
1 - 15oz Can Pumpkin Puree
1/4 Cup water
1. Preheat oven according to directions on box of cake mix.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, whole can of pumpkin puree and 1/4 cup water. Mix well.
|(Thick yummy batter - I am tempted to eat it like pudding)|
3. Spoon batter into lined muffin tins. If you trust your muffin tins not to stick you can do without the liners.
|(Scoop batter into muffin or cupcake tins)|
|(I used large tins to make 7 muffins. Filled almost to the top)|
4. If you are making cupcake size muffins bake according to package directions. Usually 15 minutes. For these extra large muffins I baked them for 23-25 minutes until firm and a toothpick inserted came out clean.
|(Fresh from the oven)|
5. Let cook on wire rack and frost if desired.
|(Easiest pumpkin muffins you will ever make)|
** I do find that if you cover the muffins overnight the frosting stays soft and sticky to the touch. If you leave them uncovered the frosting will be dry to the touch and not as messy to eat.
** Also, if you try to eat a muffin while it is still warm it has a tendency to stick to the paper wrapper. I think this is due to the lack of fat/oil in the recipe.
- Au Revoir
"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie." - Jim Davis.