I made these yummy treats for dessert last week and ended up posting the recipe on my regular motorcycle blog due to a food challenge thrown down by fellow moto-blogger Pam from Helmet or Heels. When making the dumplings, I originally took the photos to post the recipe on this blog.
I have been making this simple dessert for about 8 years after finding it hidden among the pages of a Rachel Ray magazine. Of course, now I have converted the recipe to vegan.
1- 8 oz tube Crescent Rolls (only 'Original' are vegan)
1 large Apple, cored and cut into 8 wedges
1/4 Cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/3 Cup Ginger Ale soda (NOT DIET)
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray an 8x8 inch square glass pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Open tube of crescent rolls (FYI - Pillsbury original are in fact vegan) and separate the 8 dough triangles. Place one wedge of apple on each triangle of dough, roll into crescent shape and place in dish point down.
(I left the peel on the Gala apple)
(Roll into a crescent)
3. Repeat until all 8 rolls are done and in the pan. Your pan should look something like this.
(waiting for the sauce)
4. In small saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until well combined and the sugar is fairly dissolved. Remove from heat, add Ginger Ale and stir well. It will foam a little bit. Pour mixture over the dumplings.
(ready to cover with foil)
5. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden brown.
(Mmmm cinnamon - wish I had smell-o-vision)
6. Let rest for a few minutes and serve warm drizzling the sauce left in the dish over the dumplings. We use two crescents per serving for a total of 4 servings. So good you'll want to toss etiquette aside and lick the bowl.
(Troubadour prefers his with Trader Joe's Vanilla Soy Ice Cream)
I have experimented with making a double bath and have found that it is better to adjust the ratios rather than simply doubling the recipe. To make a double batch (good for family gatherings) use a 9x13 glass pan and the following ingredient ratios: 2 tubes Crescent Rolls, 2 apples, 1/2 Cup vegan Butter, 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, 3/4 Cup Ginger Ale, 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- Au Revoir
"Good apple pies are a considerable part of our domestic happiness" - Jane Austin