I am sure we could all use a little more leafy green veggies in our diet. Lately I have been trying to work more raw foods into our diet and have been playing with kale salads.
I think I've come up with a nice combination of kale and dressing. I served this salad a few times with steamed tempeh on the side for a complete meal at dinnertime. I just drizzled a little leftover dressing over the tempeh when serving. I have also made it with a few different veggie add-ins such as brown mushrooms. It makes a great lunch on its own too, just put the dressing in a separate container until ready to eat, then mix.
SIMPLE KALE SALAD WITH PEANUT VINAIGRETTE
1 large Carrot, julienned or cut in thin rounds
1/2 cup Red Onion, slivered or diced
1 bunch Kale
1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 Tbsp all natural Peanut Butter
1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Lime or Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup
1-1/2 tsp minced Garlic
5 - 1/8inch slices fresh Ginger Root
Sprinkle of Black Pepper and Sesame Seeds to garnish
1. Cut kale into bite size pieces as you remove the leaves from the woody stems. Wash and spin dry kale pieces and place in large mixing bowl. Gently, and with both hands, massage the kale for a few seconds to soften the leaves. You may notice it becomes a slightly brighter green color.
2. Add carrots, red onion and whatever other veggies you may want.
3. In food processor or high speed blender (I used a Vitamix), process the olive oil, peanut butter, vinegar, lemon or lime juice, maple syrup, garlic and fresh ginger until smooth and creamy.
4. Drizzle part of the dressing over the salad. Start with about half of the dressing since whether you use the entire batch will depend on how big your bunch of kale was, what other veggies you may have added, and how much dressing you like. Stir with salad tongs or a large spoon or fork. Add more dressing if desired. I was making two dinner portions and used just over 2/3 of the dressing.
5. Plate salad and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and sesame seeds if desired.
On a side note, I purchased a counter top dehydrator yesterday. I have my first batch of kale chips in there now. I will let you know if they turn out.
- Bon Appetit
"There are two types of people; those who eat kale and those who should." - Bo Muller-Moore