I created this recipe because I was missing chicken noodle soup after going vegan 1.5 years ago. It is low fat, low carb, gluten free and will hit the spot on a cold winter's day. I don't use a recipe when I make it so I had to pay special attention when making it for dinner Tuesday night this week so I could approximate ingredient amounts. It makes enough for two large dinner portions and one large portion for lunch the next day.
NO CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
5 cups water
4 tsps No Chicken Bouillon
3/4 cup Celery, chopped
6-7 Brown Mushrooms, sliced
1 Onion, chopped (white or red onion)
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 pkg Shirataki Noodles (I use tofu Shirataki noodles)
1 pkg Super Firm Tofu
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
1. In a large saucepan heat water and add bouillon.
2. Add onion, mushrooms, celery and garlic and bring to a boil.
|(Veggies added to bouillon and water)|
3. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are almost cooked and moisture has been released from mushrooms. Add poultry seasoning.
4. While the stock is simmering open the noodles Rinse in a strainer and put on a plate. Microwave on high 30 seconds. Let rest on a paper towel folded in half. Let cool, then cut with a knife to desired lengths. I usually cut down the middle then across a few time so the noodles aren't too long. Shirataki noodles can be a little chewy so you don't want the pieces too big.
|(Noodles drying - prior to cutting)|
5. While the stock is simmering also drain, rinse, pat dry, and cube the tofu into desired sized pieces. Mine were a little large. Smaller might have been a little better this time around.
|(Cubed tofu ready for the soup)|
|(Tofu added to the pot)|
|(Noodles added to the pot)|
One of the things I like about this recipe is how versatile it is. Need a bigger batch? Add more water, bouillon and veggies. Need to use up some carrots or spinach - throw those in the pot too.
This can be a very low calorie soup. without the tofu the entire pot is 200 calories. The tofu I used was Trader Joe's Organic Super Firm which added 650 calories to the pot but also 70 grams of protein.
I first tried making this with a grain based chicken substitute. Although different brands worked quite well, I didn't like the fact they were so processed and added so much salt and preservatives to the soup.
- Au Revoir
" When baking follow directions. When cooking follow your own taste." - Laiko Bahrs