A few years ago, when we were still lacto-vegetarians, I found a recipe by Men's Health Cook This, Not That for a healthier version of Spinach-Artichoke Dip. From the first time we made it, it was a favorite.
I have since converted it to vegan and made it a little healthier by omitting the Veganaise/Mayo. It is still a favorite and is quite low calorie.
4 Large Whole Wheat Pitas (fluffy ones not split)
1 Onion, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 - 12-16 oz jar Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
1 - 16 oz pkg frozen Spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 - 4 oz can Roasted Green Chilies
2 Tbsp vegan Cream Cheese
2-3 Tbsp unsweetened Soy Milk (or) 2 Tbsp Veganaise
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F (205˚C).
2. Cut pitas into wedges or rectangles and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until crisp.
|(Cut pitas prior to baking)|
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
4. Add artichokes, spinach, chilies, cream cheese, lemon juice and Veganaise if using it. Mix and cook until warmed through. Add soy milk to desired consistency. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
|(Add soy milk or extra Veganaise to desired creaminess)|
5. Serve in small bowl with pitas on the side. This makes 4 small servings. We enjoy this for dinner on a regular basis and will usually serve pickled beets on the side.
6. To use for a party or a group, serve in one large dish or hollowed out loaf of sourdough bread warmed in the oven.
- Bon Apetit
"Life is like eating artichokes, you have got to go through so much to get so little." - Thomas Aloysius Dorgan.